"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transport. "
The reasons for traffic:
1) Inferior feeling of people to travel in public transport.(middle class)
2) Huge population.
3) Unexpected growth rate.
4) Insufficient planning by local state Governments.
5) More R&D on transport.
Fix or Solutions:
1) More usage for public transport. (Kill the inferior feeling.)
Educate people that using bicycle and public transport is not inferior and using cars is not superior.
2) Control the population growth - actions already taken.
3) Like in India everything in a road opens at 8-10am (School, college,office,supermarket,shops, restaurants etc.....). Where as , I observed in China and germany , its like no two institutions on the same road or Industrial / Tech park zone has the same office timings or will surely have Flexitime. In europe everything officially opens from 6-8am(not a hard rule until it is service industry), little flexible. So, people distributedly use the same road from 6am -10am. Which means same number of users but huge window of freedom 4 hours.
4) Distributed Town planning, worst example is everybody (all the companies in world) wants to have a branch office in MG road in Bangalore, or Mount road in chennai. But whereas in europe town planning is heigly distributed. Pre-planned infrastructure as per growth rate needs. Like more Metro, Bus lanes, Bicycle lanes etc.,
Govt has to pass laws on the office timings in same locality and freedom of flexitime to all citizens.
5) Just pay and hire the brains from other developed , high population density countries, and start implementing. open a numbers of R&D institutes.
Source - Madhan Prabhu, Chennai, Bengaluru, Coimbatore and Kaiserslautern (Quora)